Thursday, September 18, 2008

Quote of the week - just get a babystter

A few weeks ago, I was leaving a committee meeting that was attended by several of the university HR staff. When I was asked if I was attending the Sunday evening reception for new faculty at the president's house, this is what transpired:

HR Director: "Are you going to attend the reception on Sunday at the president's house?"

Jaime: "No, I have a young child at home and I don't have childcare. My husband will be out of town."

HR Director: "Just go to sittercity.com. We have a free subscription for staff and faculty."

Jaime: "Hmm, I have a very young child at home. She is only 5 months old and..."

HR Director: "I am sure that you can find someone on sittercity."

Jaime: "I'll take a look."

What I didn't say was that I have a very young child at home who I don't just trust with someone whom I choose on a website and meet with for a few minutes before I run off across town to a reception. Did I mention that my husband will be out of town on the west coast and that we are new to the area so we don't have a large network of friends and family? I could ask my full-time childcare provider, but she is pretty expensive (and totally worth it -- I love her). Maybe the university should consider hosting these receptions during "normal business" hours, 9-5pm Monday - Friday. Maybe, HR should consider doing more than just paying for a membership to a website. Hmm, we do have a childcare facility who could provide childcare during the reception. Maybe, the university should pay new faculty more money so that we can afford professional childcare.

Sorry, I had to vent!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jaime - I had the same inviation with the same issue! I was fortunate that I was able to ask my daughter's summer nanny (an undergrad. student who had spent three months with me and my daughter) for a babysitting during the reception night. I completely agree with you. I can't imagine to call and ask for one night of babysitting from a stranger...and I agree with you - those function can be organized during the business hours. I am sorry for the poor reaction from the HR person.