Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Woes of Flexibility

The standard contract for good in-home childcare in my area includes two weeks of paid vacation which we happily granted our childcare provider (who, incidentally, is doing a wonderful job caring for our daughter). This week, she took one of her weeks off to travel to the beach so my mother-in-law came in from out of town to help us. While I am most grateful for her arrival and willingness to take time off work and fly (at her own expense) across the country to help us, my over protective motherly-self is having a difficult time going to work. The flexibility to make my own schedule -- the ability to work your 70 hours per week anytime and anywhere you want -- is a perk of the job that often keeps me going on my more difficult days. Yet, the flexibility also means that I have the option of staying home this week and nagging my mother-in-law.

I reluctantly got in my car this morning (after staying home yesterday to ease the transition), chanted all the way to work that everything will be fine, and placed my cell phone in my pocket just in case there is a call. This blog post is my attempt to remind myself to relax!

1 comment:

Athena is a ... said...

This post is just too funny to me because I know I'd react just the same way. Except my MIL isn't sane (I used my DSM-IV to diagnose her), so I won't leave her alone in the same room with my child.

I would have taken the week "off" if I were you, too, knowing as we both do that this means you'll have to spend extra face-time on campus next week to make up for not being around. Welcome to our world!