Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Tips for Conferencing While Breast Feeding

My decision to conference without baby was not without logistical issues. Because I was still breast feeding (still pumping to be more accurate), I had to work through all the logistical issues with breast pumping while in a hotel and 1,000 miles from home. I began by calling the hotel to set-up refrigeration. I made sure to call weeks in advance and describe my needs so that I would be assured a refrigerator in my room upon arrival. I also discussed the need to pump with my roommate so that I did not shock her with my sci-fi pumping contraption. Easy enough!

The difficulties came when I realized that I could not/would not just dump all my hard earned breast milk down the bathroom drain. The shear thought of watching the liquid gold disappear down the drain made my want to cry. Thankfully, transporting breast milk is possible with much preparation. Here are a few tips:

Transportation of Breast Milk:

There is the option of using FedEx or UPS as a means to return the milk, but that requires dry ice, a special insulated box, and transportation to a shipping facility. All of which seems very time consuming. I opted to fly back with the breast milk which also required some additional effort and planning.

1. Visit the TSA website for the latest information on requirements for transporting breast milk. Here is the current policy that was sent to me in an email:

TSA recently modified the rules associated with taking breast milk through security checkpoints. Currently, passengers flying with or without an infant or young child may bring more than 3 ounces of breast milk (in a liquid or frozen state) into the security checkpoint. The breast milk must be declared to the Transportation Security Officer prior to entering the screening checkpoint and be separated from other liquids, gels, and aerosols.

Although TSA does not specifically limit the amount of breast milk or other items a passenger may bring in their carry-on bags, we encourage travelers to be practical about these amounts. The amount should be reasonable and also be consistent with the traveler's itinerary. Security Officers have discretion in determining whether the amount of breast milk and other items carried by an individual constitutes a "reasonable amount." All passengers are encouraged to ask to speak with a supervisor at the security checkpoint if they have any questions or concerns with these procedures.

2. Secure an insulated bag with frozen inserts to keep the breast milk frozen/cold during the duration of the trip. Lansinoh bags have a double zipper seal to prevent leaks. I am not a fan of the bags, but they came in handy when I had a lot of breast milk and a little storage bag.

3. Decide if you want the breast milk to go through the X-ray. From what I gather, it is safe to X-ray breast milk.

4. Give yourself plenty of time to get through airport security just in case there is a problem. Also, bring documentation to inform the TSA folks if they question that amount or the TSA policy. I had an email from TSA in hand and a chart of how much breast milk a child consumes in one day. Therefore, I could show them that my breast milk was a "reasonable quantity" given my travel itinerary.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been visiting various blogs for my dissertation help research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards