Monday, October 20, 2008

Quote of the week -- children as pets

Each day begins with the pumping ritual. I sit on my bed, strap on the breast pump and open my computer to read emails and blog posts. This morning, I came across comments on a post on Mama PhD, one of the many blogs that I read daily. I am stunned.

Perhaps childcare is not reimbursed because that’s not fair to those who are childless. I don’t get reimbursed for care for my animals (who are elderly and require medication) when I go away to a conference either, and while it’s not as expensive as childcare, it’s not cheap. Nor do people caring for their elderly parents get money to hire a nurse while they go to a conference, often they are torn whether to go at all.

As a single person who has no children, I do have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about this, because the university spends less on me yet gets the same amount of work— i don’t have a spouse or child who take advantage of health care benefits, or tuition remission, or any other perks available, but don’t receive any additional compensation. I understand that having children requires more resources, but I don’t think it’s fair of parents to always expect to get more just because they chose to be parents. Having children means being willing to pay for these expenses yourself. It’s part of the deal.

Also, if you include childcare expenses, it could give a university a reason to turn down your funding request in favor of someone who doesn’t require them, saying you cost more to send than someone else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the comment from a single person in academy...it reminds me there is always someone like this individual in my insitution. It is hard, but also it's the reality. I have been trying to surround myself and my family with people who understand academic parenthood and support us. This blog is definately one of them :-)