Monday, July 28, 2008

Could not be more true

When I talk to other academic parents and when I read articles/books on the topic of academic parenthood, a similar theme emerges -- academic parents are overburdened. We have a list of tasks that is too long, commitments and deadlines that we can't possibly fulfill, and unexpected delays (sicks children, etc.). What we often don't discuss is how this juggling act makes us feel and how we desperately try to cope with all the demands. Drama Mama said it best:

From the outside, it sometimes seems we (academic moms) are masters of
scheduling, parenting and career but from the inside it seems every moment is
wracked with doubt and panic over each small decision.


I know that I often appear as if I have it all under control and I even hear students tell me that I am "doing it all." What I don't reveal is that I am always worried, obsessing over decisions, and just hoping that I am not making any big and long lasting mistakes.

3 comments:

Athena is a ... said...

Once again, this post hits the nail on the proverbial head! It's just not possible for people who have careers like ours to have it all "together". At best you can feel like things are manageable; at worst you can feel like you will never, ever come out from under the pile of stuff waiting to be done that only *you* can do.

Japanese Cook said...

Right on, Jaime - when you said things that you don't reveal, you were talking about ME! I know in my mind that I do have limitations now with a new sets of responsibilities, but I still behave as if I don't have a child. In other words, I have not been able to process the fact that I can't do it all anymore. I think I will have a slow learning process, but hopefully be able to fully admit and accept my limitations.

Jaime said...

Soko, I agree! There are so many days where I feel like I should continue to be as productive as my childless self, but the reality is that I have more limitations. I even find myself trying to do email while playing with my daughter and than feeling terribly guilty that I am not giving her 100% of my attention.