Wednesday, July 23, 2008

New Job

Over the course of the last week, my partner and I moved from one area of the state to another because we both accepted new tenure-track jobs. The job move was necessitated by the fact that we have been living apart for the last two years as we tried to find a way to solve the dual academic career problem.

To begin the process of integrating into my new work environment, I went for my benefits appointment and among the many papers was a sheet that outlined the FMLA policy for my new institution. Drum roll please.......I am entitled to 12 weeks of unpaid leave.

The irony is that my new place of employment was just noted as one of the Great Colleges to Work For. This survey conducted by The Chronicle of Higher Education notes work/life balance as one of the benchmarks for whether or not a university is considered a great place to work. I have to wonder how an institution that offers the bare minimum in family and medical leave is considered among the 3,000 plus colleges and universities as a great place to work?

No comments: