Friday, July 11, 2008

A few ways my school is succeeding

It's easy to focus on the ways new parents in academe are not supported, because by and large we are not. But I want to give some kudos to my dean and school, where the following accommodations have been made for me and others, and also begin a larger conversation about what we DO have working on our side at different institutions.

1. I was due to give birth in April, toward the end of our spring semester, so I was allowed to pick someone with whom to co-teach and that person subsequently took over my course when I went on leave (and earned my undying devotion - especially because I ended up going on leave and delivering my son a month early ...).
2. Our school recently moved into a new building, and my dean made sure there were family restrooms and a lactation room built into the plans. Did I use the lactation room when I returned to campus last semester? No, I used my office. But it was there - and sent a clear message about my school's values.
3. I have been allowed to phone in to meetings on days when I do not have childcare, and this has worked well for me even though it has meant that I rarely see some of my colleagues who only come to campus on the days I don't. I know for sure that my administration supports my ability to call in when I can't be there. It's better than not participating in committees or task forces at all, right? However, let me temper my enthusiasm for this practice with a dose of candor: No child under the age of 3 is going to behave while you are on the phone. In fact, my son seems to know when my phone call is work-related because he saves his best monkey screams just for the occasion. So while phoning in can work, it can also be stressful and embarrassing. I made sure that the two times I was phoning in to dissertation defenses, both were during his nap time.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Discussing what our institutions are doing right is very important, but I am struck by how many of these accomodations are left to the discretion of a dean, department chair, and/or colleagues. What happens if these people are unhappy at the idea of a tenure-track faculty having a child? Would you get the same accomodations? Do you feel any backlash?

Athena is a ... said...

Jaime, I agree - it's all discretionary and if a dean or dept chair doesn't value parenting or parent rights then of course there is no recourse for faculty other than changing institutions. And yes, I think regardless of what a dean or dept chair does other faculty can make life difficult anyway if they are not happy having a new parent bring a child to campus. Plus, deans and dept chairs are only in their positions so long. What happens when new administrators come in who don't share the values of their predecessors?